If it’s true what they say, beauty is in the “eye” of the beholder, then why not decorate and adorn your precious peepers with the epitome of eye shadow beauty, the smokey eye? The smokey eye is a distinctive cosmetic blend of eye shadow, eyeliner and mascara applied in a way that gives a sultry, dramatic, dazzling look to the eyes. Since the eyes are the window to our souls, the smokey eye allows us to see ourselves and the world through glamorous, gorgeous, mesmerizing eyes!
We all know that eye shadow is a makeup item that is applied on the eyelids and under the eyebrows. Did you know that eye shadow adds depth and dimension to your eyes, can complement your eye color, can be used to make your eyes appear larger, or simply to draw attention to your eyes? In a nutshell, various forms and shades of eye shadows make your eyes stand out and look more attractive.
Smokey eyes are, well, smokin’ hot!
Smokey eyes definitely radiate with high end glamour, and the smokin’ hot appearance can be captured in just a few easy steps.
How to Apply the Perfect Smokey Eye:
1. Prep the Eyelid: Swipe an eye shadow primer (base) across the upper and lower eye area and let it dry.
2. Select the Colors of Eye Shadow: Smokey eyes work best when you use a dark and a lighter color (brown and gold, dark blue and light blue, etc.) Beauty knows no bounds…you can use whatever shades you desire!
3. Apply Eyeliner: Apply eyeliner above the entire upper lash line, drawing the line thicker in the middle of the eye.
4. Blend in Color on Bottom Lashes: The bottom color is one of the main elements of the smokey eye look. Run an eyeliner pencil under the entire bottom lashes and smudge the line with your finger or Qtip. You can also apply some eye shadow and smudge the eyeliner and eye shadow together.
5. Apply Base Color: The key to a fabulous smokey eye is pairing a lighter base with a darker hue. Sweep in a light, glistening shadow over the eyelids to the browbase.
6. Blend in the Darker Color: Blend in the darker color of eye shadow starting at your lash line, blending up. Blend the color into the lash line so that the eyeliner disappears.
7. Check Your Work: Make certain that both eyes match and rub out any smears or smudges with a Qtip.
8. Apply Lots of Mascara: Thick, dramatic mascara is a must to finish off the alluring smokey eye effect. Apply enough coats that the lashes look long, thick and dark. Black mascara works best for the ultimate look. False eyelashes can be applied if preferred.
Congratulations! You have mastered the smokey eye! Sizzling!
Eye Shadow Fun Fact: Have you ever wondered what ingredients are used to make the eye catching eye shadow that you love to wear? Common ingredients in eye shadows consist of talc, mica, sericite, magnesium stearate, colorants and preservatives. Fillers in eye shadows are primarily talc. The liquid binders are typically silicone and the dry binders are usually magnesium stearate. In order to make a perfectly blended eye shadow, there has to be a balance between the fillers, dry binders and liquid binders.
Where there’s smoke there’s fire? Show the fire in your eyes with the dramatic smokey eye!
Eye Shadow Fun Fact: Many people use eye shadow to simply improve their appearance, but it is also commonly used in theater and other plays, to create a memorable look, with bright, bold colors. Depending on skin tone and the shades of eye shadows selected, the effect of eye shadow usually brings out the glamour and gains attention. The use of eye shadow attempts to replicate the natural eye shadow that some women exhibit due to a natural contrasting pigmentation on their eyelids. Natural eye shadow can range anywhere from a glossy shine to one’s eyelids, to a pinkish tone, or even a silver look.
Whether your eye shadow comes a la natural or applied from a case, when you spruce up your eyes with the signature smokey eye, you’ll be a true fashion and beauty plate!
Eye Makeup Removal Fun Fact: To remove the eye shadow and all of the hard work that you’ve put into mastering the smokey eye, a commercial eye makeup remover can be used, as well as a rich face wash. You may also go with water and a gentle soap. Eye shadow, eyeliner and mascara also wipes clean with baby oil or petroleum jelly. You may also purchase makeup removal wipes at salons and beauty supply stores.
Jeepers, creepers! Where did you get those smokey eye peepers?
“I feel like I need a night on the town. Would you like to go dancing at a club with me?”
“I don’t want to sound like a party pooper, but sometimes the clubs are too smokey to see.”
“Perhaps we can find a no smoking club, where the only smoke will be our smokey eyes.”
“Then I’m up for it. Some good music, dancing and munchies sounds “de-stress” wise.”
“Having some fun, dancing, mingling and a good time is what I need to relax as well.”
“Let’s go over dramatic with the alluring smokey eye. Tomorrow we’ll have a story to tell!”
Smokey Eye: Eye makeup perfection. Get the beauty connection!
Nancy Mangano is an American beauty/fashion/style influencer, fashion journalist, screenwriter and author of the Natalie North murder mystery book series. Visit Nancy on her global online fashion/style/beauty magazine Strutting in Style! at https://www.struttinginstyle.com, her Facebook page Nancy Mangano at https://www.facebook.com/nancymmangano/ Twitter @https://twitter.com/nancymangano and her author website http://www.nancymangano.com