Sure, life can be much easier and more fun when you have lots of money, but money doesn’t mean everything. On those weekends when cash is tight and your time is open, it can force you to get creative and explore activities that you may not pay much attention to when your wallet is large. This is actually a good thing. You’d be amazed at how many activities you can do and what you can explore when your budget is forcing you to nickel and dime it!
Favorite Affordable Weekend Activities:
• Bowling: Everyone should bowl at least once in their lifetime. Most larger cities have a bowling alley in the area that can guarantee you a fun, competitive event at a reasonable cost. Toss in nachos and a coke from the snack bar and have a grand time on a dime!
• Take a Hike: Most of us spend so much time in our cars, on public transportation, etc. that getting out in the open air and enjoying a hike is a welcome pleasure. Whether you take a short stroll through hills or a long hike up mountains, the exercise and fresh air will feel good!
• Plan a Picnic: If the weather cooperates, a picnic in the park passes time and costs you only the price of the food you pack. Some cities offer free outdoor concerts in the park. Why not lay out a blanket, feast from your picnic basket and enjoy some great music at minimal expense?
• Visit a Coffee House: Coffee houses have become the new “fast food restaurants” to drink and socialize in. You can pass an entire afternoon hitting a coffee house with friends, indulging in your favorite flavored coffees and chatting for hours. You can catch up on all the latest gossip and connect with friends on a deeper level at the same time.
• Host a Movie Night: Invite family and friends over for a movie night at your house. Everyone can pitch in for pizzas or you can do a potluck style gathering, where the cost of food is divided among the guests. Laughter, food, and fun on a budget!
• Hang Out in a Sports Bar: Sports bars offer delicious food, drinks, access to viewing sporting events, pool tables and dart boards. For the same amount of money you would spend at a restaurant for dinner, you can choose to eat at a sports bar with unlimited free entertainment while you watch your favorite teams battle it out. Not a sports fan? A little competition does the body and mind well!
• Go for Ice Cream Treats: Find your closest Baskin Robbins or frozen yogurt shop and indulge in your favorite ice cream treats! Satisfy your sweet tooth with amazing ice cream desserts and your taste buds and mood will ramp up, while your pocketbook doesn’t take a nosedive. Ice cream brings everyone to their happy place!
With so many things to do that don’t require lots of money, one should never be bored. Unless, of course, the stillness and restful state of being bored brings you to your happy place. There is a serenity about slowing down, doing nothing, and regrouping! After all, this is how you keep your energy up to do fun activities on a budget!
Nancy Mangano is an American beauty/fashion/style influencer, fashion journalist, screenwriter and author of the Natalie North murder mystery book series. Visit Nancy on her global online fashion/style/beauty magazine Strutting in Style! at https://www.struttinginstyle.com, her Facebook page Nancy Mangano at https://www.facebook.com/nancymmangano/ Twitter @https://twitter.com/nancymangano and her author website http://www.nancymangano.com