Polka dot materials are pleasant, playful and pretty. They are also “spot” on in current fashion! Polka dot is a pattern consisting of an array of large filled circles (discs). Polka dots differentiate from a general spot pattern as polka dots are perfectly even in shape and size, while spots can be irregular in spacing and size (although many people refer to spotted garments as polka dotted).
Many modern polka dot prints include more randomly spaced, sized and colored dots. Polka dots became common on clothing in the late 19th century in the United Kingdom.
Polka dots will remain a garment rated number one until kingdom come!
Polka Dot Fun Fact: The polka dot pattern rarely appears in formal clothing contexts and is generally confined to a more playful attire such as bathing suits and lingerie. Polka dots also make a spotted splash on summery skirts, dresses, shorts and stockings, perfect to wear when running or walking!
The term ‘polka dot’ originated in popularity from the polka dance which was big at the time the polka dot pattern became fashionable. Traditionally polka dots are used in clothing of flamenco dancers and performers due to their stylish flair and festive fun vibration!
Polka Dot Fabulous Fun Facts Featuring Performers:
- Frederic Bazille’s 1867 painting Family Reunion depicts two women in blue polka dot dresses.
- In 1962, DC Comics introduced Polka-Dot Man, with irregularly-sized and different colored dots.
- Bob Dylan wore a large print green polka dot shirt in the photo on the cover of his single Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues.
- Musician Randy Rhoads used a Flying V guitar with polka dots.
- Professional wrestler Dusty Rhodes was given a black outfit covered in yellow polka dots during his time in the World Wrestling Federation (WWF).
So may ways, so many reasons, to wear those signature spots known as polka dots. Oh, we love them lots!
In addition to clothing, there are many other polka dot items to choose from, some of which include polka hats and polka jackets. Since its inception, the polka dot fabric pattern has remained popular, and the name polka dot has stayed intact over the years.
Spread fashion cheer when dressed in the polka dot pattern year after year!
For a look that is elegant, ritzy and right, doll up in polka dot patterns colored black and white!
Polka Dot Fun Fact: Some people associate polka dots with Venezuelan fashion designer Carolina Herrera, who used polka dots on most of her dresses during the late 1980s and early 1990s, as well as on her boxes of perfume Carolina Herrera, Herrera for Men, Aquaflore and Flore.
Polka Dot Crazy Fun Fact: The world’s first crack pipe vending machines are polka dotted, for a fashion trip sure to make you see spots!
Why is the catwalk filled with spots? Oh, it’s classic polka dots!
Polka Dot Fabulous Fun Facts Featured in Popular Music:
- “Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini” is a novelty song telling the story of a very shy girl in a very revealing bathing suit who stays immersed in the ocean water to hide her from view. The song was written by Paul Vance and Lee Pockriss and was first released in June 1960 by Brian Hyland.
- “Polka Dots and Moonbeams” was a popular song with music by Jimmy Van Heusen and lyrics by Johnny Burke, published in 1940. The song was Frank Sinatra’s first hit recorded with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra. The song has become one of the top 100 most frequently recorded jazz standards with arrangements by Gil Evans and others and notable recordings by Lester Young, Sarah Vaughn and many musicians.
Whether its jazz, rock, punk, blues, instrumental, funk, metal or classical, dress in polka dotted fabrics to look mystical, magical and lyrical.
Frilly, frolicking fun! Delightful dots and splashing spots!
Polka Dot Fun Fact: In the Tour de France, the leader in the mountains competition wears a distinctive polka dot jersey (French: maillot a pois rouge). Although the King of the Mountains was first recognized in the 1933 Tour de France, the distinctive jersey wasn’t introduced until 1975.
Felling down in the dumps? Get yourself pumped by dressing in youthful, pleasing, popular polka dots for a mood that is happy where you’ll thrive and feel alive!
Cover yourself in pizzazz filled polka dots for a fashion look that is splendidly “spot on!”
“Your polka dot ensemble is the most fun, alluring outfit I’ve seen all day.”
“The entertaining spots are pleasing to the eye and definitely have a lot to say.”
“The dots create a party atmosphere that lifts your mood and brings you joy.”
“You’ll turn heads in the delicious dots so don’t wear them if you are shy or coy.”
“I look at you and I want to dance the polka or twirl you around and have fun.”
“The festive dots are perfect to dress in whether you stay indoors or go out in the sun.”
Polka Dot Clothing: Your polka dot garments will bring a smile to the face of everyone who walks on by. Some might even give the polka dot pattern their own fashion try!
Nancy’s next book in her award winning murder mystery series, Deadly Decisions – A Natalie North Novel, available now in online and retail bookstores.
Nancy Mangano is an American fashion journalist, screenwriter and author of the Natalie North murder mystery book series, A Passion for Prying, Murder Can Be Messy and Deadly Decisions – A Natalie North Novel. Visit Nancy on her author website http://www.nancymangano.com, Twitter @https://twitter.com/nancymangano, her fashion magazine Strutting in Style! at https://www.struttinginstyle.com, and her Facebook fan page Nancy Mangano https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nancy-Mangano/362187023895846