Anyone who has ever had a professional foot massage knows they feel wonderful. There is something about getting your feet rubbed and pampered that is relaxing, rejuvenating and restoring to your mental and physical health. On top of that, having your toenails painted and decorated adds pizzazz and glamour to your princess toes and feet.
A pedicure is a cosmetic treatment of the feet and toenails, normally done for aesthetic and therapeutic purposes. Pedicures are popular throughout the world, particularly for women, but are gaining popularity with men as well.
Both professional and do-it-yourself pedicures feel oh so extra sweet! An extra special foot treat!
For those of you that crave a pleasant pedicure, yet don’t have the time or pocketbook to visit a salon, do-it-yourself (DIY) pedicures are fun, easy and invigorating!
How to Give Yourself a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Pedicure:
- Buff your feet when dry, not wet, and use a foot file on the heels, balls of the feet and the edges of the toes.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water and a reviving soak solution. Soak the feet for approximately 10 minutes.
- Massage your feet with a foot scrub to get rid of dead skin, then rinse.
- Dry your feet and gently push back the cuticles of your toes with a Qtip or cuticle cream.
- Cut, file and shape your toenails to your desired length and shape.
- Massage your clean feet with a rich foot lotion.
- If you wish to paint your toenails, wipe away any excess foot lotion and apply a clear base coat of nail polish to your toes.
- Polish the toenails with the color(s) of your choice. Add jewels, stones, etc. if preferred.
- Apply a top coat of clear nail polish to add shimmer and shine to your toenails, and to prevent the nail polish from chipping.
Wahlah, an at home pedicure is that easy to do for you!
Pedicure Tip: Although fashion is a unique choice, I prefer manicures and pedicures where the nail polish on the fingernails is the same color as the nail polish on the toes. Of course, it is an individual preference and not everyone agrees with me. If you prefer a French manicure on your fingernails and blue or black nail polish on your toes, then go for it! Your hands, your feet, your preference. Anything goes!
Pedicure Fun Fact: People have been pedicuring their nails for more than 4,000 years. In southern Babylonia, noblemen used solid gold tools to give themselves manicures and pedicures. The use of fingernail polish can be traced back even further. Originating in China in 3000 BC, nail color indicated one’s social status: royal fingernails were painted black and red. Ancient Egyptians have been manicuring all the way back to 2300 BC.
Popular Tools and Nail Cosmetics:
- Cotton Balls
- Cuticle Cream
- Cuticle Pusher or Cuticle Nipper
- Foot Bath
- Nail Buffer
- Nail File
- Orangewood Sticks
- Toenail Clippers
- Toe Spacers
Pedicure Fun Fact: Pedicures take approximately 45 minutes to an hour. Much longer if you want to soak your tired, aching feet in a hot water bowl or shower for over an hour! Refreshing!
Pamper your feet with a pleasing pedicure!
“I simply adore your baby blue toenail polish and the toe rings that you have on.”
“Massaging and decorating my feet and toes feels relaxing and soothing all day long.”
“The matching baby blue polish on your fingernails is striking to see.”
“The bedazzled ornaments on my pinkie fingers are oh so beautiful to me.”
“You clearly care about the appearance of your hands and your feet.”
“Looking at my own creative nail art and footwork is a real treat!”
Slip your gorgeous, perfectly pedicured feet into summer sandals for a hot, sizzling look that turns up the heat!
Nancy Mangano is an American beauty/fashion/style influencer, fashion journalist, screenwriter and author of the Natalie North murder mystery book series. Visit Nancy on her global online fashion/style/beauty magazine Strutting in Style! at https://www.struttinginstyle.com, her Facebook page Nancy Mangano at https://www.facebook.com/nancymmangano/ Twitter @https://twitter.com/nancymangano and her author website http://www.nancymangano.com